I remember the tears he shed over the hurt and pain of his divorce. The devastation he knew it would bear out on Mike and Carla, and on him and on Debbie. And it did. It wounded all four of them.
I would tell Carla how much I would rather that her Dad and Debbie's marriage had been a happy one that lasted and that Tom and Debbie could have raised Mike and Carla together. Carla was so puzzled by this. She knew I loved her Dad, and couldn't imagine how I could wish such a thing.
I tried to explain the trust I had in the Lord, that He had a plan, and that divorce is not His work, but that once that devastation took place, His glory is immeasurable in the healing. So that my being in their lives wasn't a reason for heartache to take place. It was simply part of picking up the pieces and I was happy to be part of their lives.
Tom would describe the nights he would rock Carla as a baby, singing in his silly way his lullaby to her.
When Carla was ill late at night, Tom would stay up hour after hour with her, nursing her to health. He was practically a seahorse, keeping the child so close to him.
During Carla's tumultuous teenage years, Tom struggled so much with his love for her and drawing boundaries. But no matter how difficult Carla could be, Tom was able to rise above it and play and joke and hang with Carla- through thick and thin.
There were several years where Carla hardly called. It was a tough lonely time for her, and Tom missed her terribly. I missed her too. She lived in New Mexico for a while, then in Florida.
With no warning, we got a call from her in 2005. "Dad, I have to have an operation, and I'm all alone her in Florida- no one will be there with me when it's done."
Tom
dropped everything. It was the heat of his busy Christmas season in his eccomerce retail business - the trip to Florida cost him a great deal, but it was so worth it. I know that in those final moments of his life, if that trip is something that crossed his mind, I know he was thanking the Lord for putting in him that desire for nothing more than to be with his daughter when she needed him.His love for her was so pure and unconditional. Only a father could love that way.
Only our Father could love us that way.

No comments:
Post a Comment